Jim wrote in V4/259 re the 'new' digital film for use in most 35mm
cameras:

<snip>

Here are the two main, missing items, in my opinion.  There is no LCD
screen
with which to view your just taken pictures.  All other digital
cameras I know
of have one.  An interchangeable camera back needs to be available
that would
do this.  The new digital F5 seems to have one but that camera does
not work
the way this system does.

The second big  missing item is that there is no interchangeable film
picture
storage device i.e. flash memory card or whatever, to go along with
this
electronic film cartridge.   Once you have filled up the memory of the
electronic cartridge, it has to be downloaded to another medium.  This
would
require you to carry a laptop or have multiple efs (electronic film
cartridges) available.  Very costly.    Pros could never work like
this.

If the manufacturer of this system does not address these two items
along with
many others like how to trick your camera into thinking film is
advancing over
the take-up sprockets/reel so that camera's exposure system will work
(my F5
won't work without film rolling over the take-up spool)  I don't think
it will
ever take off.

<snip>

Jim,

I would agree with you, except that they seem to have other
applications in mind:

Imagine being a high-end realtor, who has a knowledge of cameras. You
could use ultra wide angle lenses to show interior that cannot be
produced with a digital P&S.

News photographers often shoot just a roll of some non-exciting event
(the traditional handing over of a check, or of a ground breaking - ho
hum). With this device, they can use the cameras and lenses they are
comfortable with, and save 30-60 minutes of darkroom time for an
image.

I can imagine myself using the device as follows: I have always longed
for a Polaroid back for studio work. Unfortunately, while they are
available, the images are so small as to make them worthless (compared
to medium and large format use). With this device, I can take a
picture, pull out the device, and plug it into my PC, and wham!
there's the image on my 19" monitor. May not be perfectly in alignment
(color and exposure wise) with the film I am using, but then neither
is Polaroid.

As to camera usage, this device may help to raise the price of older
mechanical bodies that do not require film to be moving! Maybe I can
get some resale out of my old Nikon F's yet!

Colin