I had an FG that I almost through out until I found a used MD-14 motor
drive. Now I love the FG. I have very large hands (my ancestors milked
cows I guess) and the FG was just not easy to use. I had a hard time
advancing the film because my thumb wouldn't fit under the crank with
the rubber eye cup in place. It was difficult hold comfortably since
only 2 or 3 fingers could wrap around the body.

With the MD-14 I don't have to advance the film. The larger grip area
fits solidly in my right hand. The camera is more stable as a result of
a better grip. The FG was a spare if the N90s failed. Since the MD-14 it
has been elevated to second body status and gets used regularly with an
alternative film loaded.

Can't speek to the FE MD-12 combo but suspect you would be similarly
pleased.