Mike West wrote:
> The problem with converting film-cameras to digital (and thus
> retaining one's investment in lenses), is that it's only a matter of
> time before digital zooming replaces good old glass.  If they can
> give us a whole bunch of pixels and a good 20mm (or wider) lens,
> we'll have all the focal lengths we need by means of digital zoom.

Mike, let's imagine you would like to be able to zoom to 300mm, from
20mm. That means a 15x zoom.

The equivalent resolution of a fine film is about 4,000x3,000. But let's
accept a lower resolution, e.g. 1600x1200 like what is found on modern
digital cameras. If you want to keep that quality at 300mm by using
digital zooming, you need a 24,000x18,000 sensor! That is, a 432 Mega
Pixels CCD. Honestly, I do not think it is for tomorrow. And the figures
are even worse for real photographic quality. If a 24x36mm sensor size
is considered, it means that each pixel (which is made of a transistor)
should be less than 1,5 micron in size!!!
It may come one day, but not anytime soon.

Nicolas.