Question:
<I was wondering if anyone has heard of a product called Dri-Z-Air?  The
package states that it removes excess water.  It is a white granular
material that contains calcium chloride.>
<I'd like to know if anyone has had any experience with this product, and if
there are adverse side effects to lens coatings, etc.>
<It's cheap...>

Answer?:
I happen to work as an analytical chemist for a company that owns a company
that sells a similar product which they call DampRid
(http://www.damprid.com/).   The drying agent (white granular material) is
almost certainly a low grade calcium chloride.  It is a harmless salt
sometimes used in packaged foods.  (Northerners--you could also use calcium
chloride sold for de-icing that you may have lying around.)  It has an
enormous capacity for water, probably hundreds of times that of silica gel.
It will eventually turn into a liquid after sucking up a lot water, which
you could probably regenerate at ~275°C (~530°F).  I know of a similar
situation that uses calcium chloride to maintain a constant relative
humidity (RH) of ~29% @ 25°C (~77°F).  I believe the same would be true if
you used one of these products, so long as there was always some solid
calcium chloride present and the 'container' was reasonably well closed.

I searched back a few digests and read one which recommended 30-50% RH and
one which said 35-50% RH was optimal for storage of your equipment.  I would
guess 29% RH would be acceptable, but perhaps we should consult other digest
members.

TWIMC:  The temperature that I have for regenerating silica gel is ~150°C
(~300°F).

Sorry for the long post, but I thought that this might interest many
digesters (that love their Nikon equipment, to make it Nikon related).