I disagree with Mike's statement about digital zooming replacing glass.
Remember that digital zooming is nothing more than an interpolation of the
missing pixels.  In otherwords, you take a portion of the resolution and
make an educated guess at filling in the missing pixels, or in other words,
lose image accuracy and sharpness.  This is because the filled-in pixels
are nothing more than a calculated guess.  You simply cannot make up
information that isn't there.

Now when you have a zoom lens, the optics are bringing you closer to
the image, so the resulting image should be as sharp or nearly as sharp
as actually being that close to the object.  No guesswork is put into the
composition of the image and detail should be relatively sharp and
accurate.

So, if you take a lens that digitally zooms you to 300 from a base of, say
75 optically, it should not be anywhere near as sharp as if you shoot
with an optical 300.  Digital zooms may accentuate the line, but I don't see
them replacing optical lenses.  After all, you can always enlarge your
image, so a digital zoom is more of a convenience than anything else.

I've based this info on articles I've read on camcorders, regarding digital
vs. optical magnification and the resulting images.

Ross