>I haven't calculated it, but a 1280 x 1024 pixel digital medium
has got to be several quantums less resolution than even the least
fine-grained silver-based film.

BACKPACKER's print resolution (minimum) is the equivalent to 270 dpi, which
means that the megapixel digital cameras have adequate resolution for small
photos (generally up to about 4" width). But...the real problem I've seen
with most of the digital cameras is that they have far too much artifacting,
which would be visible at the resolutions we print.

Thom Hogan
Executive Editor, BACKPACKER Magazine
author, The Nikon Field Guide (Silver Pixel Press)
www.bythom.com