Based on the conditions you set forth, and the lenses you included, I have a
slightly different suggestion:
The Nikon 50mm f1.8. This lens will cost you under $100, which will give you
a bigger film budget for your trip. The 50mm will allow you to shoot in
light levels 1/4 of the inexpensive zooms, and those 50mm lenses are pretty
much optically perfect. Only problem I'd see is that it's not a "D" lens.
The D version is the 50mm f1.4, but costs $250.
If you're hell-bent on a wide angle, Nikon has a 28mm f2.8d lens for around
$200.
I believe you would be better served by either of these lenses than by
purchasing an inexpensive zoom with questionable optical qualities. Assuming
everything else goes well (focus, exposure, etc...) these lenses will
produce slides/negatives capable of being enlarged well past 8x10 and you'll
be proud of them.

Eric Edelman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]