> On the same subject of flash, I have
        > come to admire the accuracy of the
        > simple flashmatic flash on my Yashica T4.
        > I wonder if there is a way for Nikon's 3D
        > flash metering to be set to a simple
        > flashmatic setting (sort of like the old
        > GN lenses, only electronically controlled).
        > I think this would be a desirable feature
        > for wedding fotogs, many of whom, I am told,
        > use guide number calculation for consistency.
        >
        > Any thoughts?

        It would have to be instead of 3D, not controlled
        by the 3D meter.  3D is a reflected light meter,
        and the whole point of using just distance and GN
        is that it ignores the reflectance of the subject,
        so your results are similar to using an incident
        flash meter.

        It's doable.  You'd have to add yet another
        communication channel between the camera and flash
        to allow the camera to determine the flash's guide
        number given it's current output level and zoom
        setting.

        It wouldn't be very flexible though -- it depends
        on too many other things that the camera and flash
        don't know.  It would only work if no diffuser is
        used (because they change the GN), only if the flash
        was mounted on the camera (so the distance info from
        the lens is correct) and only if the flash was pointed
        directly at the subject (i.e. no bounce, because the
        distance and GN would change).  So, I don't expect to
        see it any time soon.

        It would be easy to add to SLRs with a built-in flash,
        but since the flash would always fire at full output
        it'd eat their expensive little batteries *fast*.

        But look on the bright side -- the way things are now
        gives you a perfectly good excuse to go out and buy
        a really cool flash meter to play with when it's too
        rainy/cold to go outside and take pictures!

        More toys is better, IMHO.

        -Don