Just a brief comment on volunteering to shoot weddings for friends. The
cautionary advice that's been given -- just don't do it -- is all very
sage advice, but sometimes one can't say no to friends.

I've been in this situation a couple of times and had to take the
pictures or put a friendship at risk. People have been pretty happy with
the results -- they still speak to me -- so I must not be doing too bad.

I try to learn from reading about wedding photography in magazines --
Shutterbug often has some wedding photo how-to articles -- and at sites
on the WWW.  I try to use gear that has proved dependable in ths past. I
try to anticipate problems and deal with them in advance. I try to come
well prepared with everything I might need -- plenty of film, extra
batteries, ideas about when and where to shoot.

But I know I'm not going to produce results that match the pros.

My suggestion is to clear up potential misunderstandings in advance.
Remember that you will get into trouble because of the differences
between what you might produce and what people expect you to produce.

What people expect "wedding photographs" to look like has been shaped by
their seeing professional results done by at least technically competent
shooters whose livelihood depends on delivering the goods. These folks
have experience, training, and equipment on their side. They are worth
the money they get paid because they will deliver a dependable product.

You do not have the experience and training going for you, even if you
have the equipment. Therefore make clear to the people doing the asking
that you are not going to be able to duplicate pro work. Find out what
they want -- if they want the posed group shots, they will need to plan
time for you to get those (usually after the ceremony itself) -- if they
want to make sure that certain guests are included, you need to know who
they are -- and the like.

I try to get a sense of what people want, and try to provide it. The
happiest situations are people who do not fit the traditional wedding
situation -- the smaller, informal weddings that are gatherings of
friends -- where expectations are lower and images are less rigid.

Finally, I make the results my wedding present to them. I buy the film
and give them the slides/negatives and a set of prints, and beyond that
they're on their own.

Regardless of the results, they've gotten what they paid for, and they
usually turn out grateful to you for your effort as well as the product.
You get the shooting experience, provide a very personal wedding present
(better than a toaser), and have a role at the wedding.

Hope this helps.
--
John N. Wall
email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

We are not revitalized or transformed as often by a change of
circumstances
as we are by a change of perspective.