"Somebody" wrote:

 - The reason they do it that way is fairly simple, and it is the reason
Nikon lenses have never become obsolete.  If you rely on the mechanical
linkage to transmit aperture information to the camera body, you do not
need a lens with a CPU (i.e. an AF lens).  Thus an old AI lens will work
on an N70 in aperture-preferred auto-exposure mode.  But it will not
work on an N5005 in that manner, as the N5005 relies on the lens's CPU
to transmit aperture information.  To my mind, this is also the reason
the N5005 isn't worth "the powder it would take to blow it up."

Brian wrote:

I know the above is just an opinion, and it IS taken that way for sure,
but for what it's worth, I have an N60 that will only meter
automatically if an AF lens is used.... I happen to be someone who isn't
comfortable enough yet to operate a manual camera and produce consistent
results. I do set it on manual often, and often with good results from
my "tweaking". But when I need good pics the first time, I rely on the
TTL metering. AI's can be used, but only in manual mode.
My camera cost a good deal less than the N70, and I couldn't care less
that I can't use old AI lenses without sacrificing the metering. I buy
good Nikon AF-D's, and enjoy the hell out of what I'm doing. That's
where it's at for me. Not all of us here on the list are pro's - I do
this stuff for my own enjoyment. If I had a spare $2200 for an F5 at the
time, I would have bought it: believe me, I'm that way - but the N60 has
so far been a terrific camera for what I'm into.
By the way -  for anyone into IR photography, I have used Kodak HIE in
the N60 (about 6 rolls) and what I've printed so far has come out great,
but there was a little bit of fogging along the edge of parts of the neg
strip... the fogging intruded into the image a little, but so far it's
been croppable and not a major problem. Every frame is usable. Of
course, it may have happened when I developed them, too - maybe a tank
leak. I use an old bakelite tank. Not IR opaque? Anyway, just thought
I'd mention it.  Also, an N60 _MUST_ have DX-coded film loaded into it,
or it will not "see" it. Since HIE has no ASA rating, so no DX coded
label on it, I bought "ASA 100 DX coded labels" like you'd use if you
did your own bulk film loading, and stuck that on the canister (in the
dark, of course - a real joy) so that the camera would know it had film
in it. Guess whoever wrote the above would say that's another reason
it's "not worth the powder it would take to blow it up.", but I can and
have dealt with it.

Enjoy the list a lot - -   Brian

Bike Week is here in DAYTONA BEACH!
http://www.bikeweeklive.com for live cams on Mainstreet!