>  the 105 micro Nikkor loses 2 stops of light at 1:1, becoming a 105/5.6.

We need to put an end to the assumption that Micro-Nikkors maintain their
focal length when extended to 1:1. From my upcoming Nikon Lens Guide (Field
Guide, Flash Guide, Lens Guide, when will he stop?):

At 1:1 focal length is approximately 74mm

For the 60mm, at 1:1, the true focal length is about 49mm.
For the 200mm, at 1:1, the true focal length is about 102mm.

> The 200/4, however does not lose any light, due to its IF construction,
and remains an f/4 lens at 1:1

Sorry, but due to the extension involved, it loses slightly over a stop of
light at 1:1 (Moose says 1 1/3 stops).

Thom Hogan
Executive Editor, BACKPACKER Magazine
author, The Nikon Field Guide (Silver Pixel Press)
www.bythom.com