Nikon thoughtfully makes their polariziers wider than the filter thread -
ie a 52 mm Nikkor polarizer has a front diameter larger than 52mm.  My
experience is that I can use this polarizer without vignetting on the
24/2.8 AiS.  I don't use any other filter at the same time.  If anyone is
having vignetting perhaps it's because they left/put some other filter
behind the polarizer.  The HN-12 hood for the polarizer clearly indicates
that it should be used only with lenses longer than 35mm - I've never
checked.  I just trust Nikon and don't try to use the hood with the 24!

Now, regarding the Nikon/Canon BS going on here:  It's of absolutely no
value.  I believe the purpose of this list is to share information about
Nikon camera equipment.  If I still shot with Kodak instamatics, I'd look
for an Instamatic news list.  I wouldn't be trying to convert you all to
127 cartridge film and focus free cameras.  The purpose here is to learn to
make the best photographs you can with the [Nikon] equipment you have - not
to prove that what you have is the ultimate.  Most camera equipment is
better than most photographers.  Peace and good light to you, no matter the
color of your 300/2.8.