>> The 200/4, however does not lose
        >> any light, due to its IF construction,
        >> and remains an f/4 lens at 1:1

        > Sorry, but due to the extension involved,
        > it loses slightly over a stop of light at
        > 1:1 (Moose says 1 1/3 stops).

        Yep, rear focus and internal focus lenses
        do lose light at minimum focus.  Not as
        much as the old-type move everything lenses,
        but it's detectable. I've got a 105mm/f2
        (rear focus) and 180mm/f2.8 (internal focus)
        on my desk here, a quick check indicates that
        the both loose around 1/3 a stop at minimum
        focus.

        For comparison an old 300mm/f4.5 AI-S I used
        to own lost around 2/3 stop.

        Unless you're using a hand-held meter, don't
        worry about it.  Even 1-1/3 stops is much less
        light than you loose when the sun goes down.

        It is kinda fun to obsess about such things
        though, isn't it?

        -Don