> I will likely be shooting a NASCAR stockcar
        > autorace in the near future.

        Get some earplugs or you'll be in serious pain.

        > Most of the time will be spent just behind
        > the pits.  I currently own a N70 with a 35-80
        > offbrand lens and a N 80-200 2.8D.  It has
        > been suggested that I'll need a second body
        > with a wide angle lens for the race.

        It's nice to have two bodies so you never get
        caught with the wrong lens on the camera and
        not enough time to swap them.

        > 1st  question):       What second body should I get?  I'm
        > not a pro, but appreciate the advantages of newer
        > technology.  I could probably afford a N90s or even
        > stretch to get a F100, but I'm not sure what that will
        > buy me.

        Anything will work.  Get whatever you like.  If you're
        happy with your N70, get another one.  Unless you're
        going to be standing in the middle of the track with
        cars coming directly towards you (note: this is not
        recommended -- it would get you some unique pictures,
        but probably not very many of them) focus tracking
        isn't that critical.

        > 2nd question):        What lens to get?  I've been planning
        > to purchase a 20-35 zoom.  Maybe the Tokina.  The Nikon
        > is out of reach.  But a friend suggested that I just
        > get a prime - 20, 22, 24?

        The fact that you're not sure which prime to get is a
        good reason to get the zoom.

        > I would appreciate any advice on a good wide angle
        > setup from those of you that have shot similar events.

        I can't help you there.  I never shot in the pits, I
        always went out to the turns and shot the cars on the
        banking.  I never used anything less than a 300mm out
        there.

        > Also, how does one handle two bodies, especially when
        > one has the 80-200 2.8 on it?  That configuration is
        > heavy enough by itself!

        If one of the cameras is really light (up to something
        like: FM2, no motor, 105mm/f2.5) I'll put it around my
        neck, and hang the other one over my right shoulder.
        Usually I hang both cameras across my right shoulder,
        lens pointing in.  One lens goes in front of my leg,
        one hangs behind.  I keep my right hand on the camera in
        front (the one with the lens I feel most likely to need
        quickly) to keep them from banging together.  It helps
        if you adjust the strap on the camera in back to be
        longer than the one in front.

        Some people put one camera over each shoulder, but then
        either way you lean the camera swings out and gets in
        the way of whatever you're reaching for.  With both of
        them over the same shoulder, you can pick stuff up off
        of the ground by leaning away from the cameras (and
        you've always got a free hand).

        -Don