> Jon Cunningham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> That said, I would have to say that if the most important feature in making
> your decision on which camera to buy is the ability to use TTL flash in
> Aperture Priority Mode (APM), then the FE-2 is the ONLY way to go. The FE-2
> does this normally, without any modifications.

This appears to be the case, but isn't.  While the black needle will
still point to the recommended ambient exposure, when flash is used
the shutter speed is locked at 1/250 in A mode, and a maximum speed of
1/250 is imposed in M mode.  Settings faster than 1/250 cause the
shutter to run at 1/250.

> However, the FE-2 puts no "brakes" on shutter speed in APM, if the aperture
> chosen with a high speed film causes the needle to go beyond 1/250 there is
> a potential sync problem. I say "potential," because I've never risked just
> going ahead an shooting when the needle pointed to 1/500 or above.

Because the shutter speed is locked to 1/250 when flash is used in A
mode, this sync problem doesn't exist.

Nevertheless, your procedure is the correct one, because otherwise
you're pretty much guaranteed an overexposure from the ambient light.

The manual has this to say:
  To prevent mistakes, the camera also offers automatic switchover of
  the shutter speed for proper synchronization with a Nikon dedicatd
  flash unit, such as the SB-15, SB-16B, SB-18 or SB-20.  With the
  shutter speed/mode selector dial set to A or 1/500sec. or above, the
  shutter speed is automatically switch to 1/250sec. as soon as the
  flash is turned on.

> The FA, on the other hand is not really usable in any mode BUT "M" with a
> speedlight attached. When a flash is turned on, the shutter speed
> automatically jumps to 1/250 (regardless of where the shutter speed dial is
> set) in any mode but "M," and the meter is switched off in ALL
> modes.

This is why I prefer the FE2 for balancing.  In M mode, you still get
the meter readings, and can adjust the shutter speed for balance.  But
at settings faster than 1/250, it will override the manual input and
stay at 1/250.

Dan.