Greetings

>However, I returned mine to the camera shop after owning it for
>about 1 week and traded it for a Nikkor 35-70mm f2.8.
>The reason? MINIMUM FOCUS on the Tokina AT-X 28-70 2.6~2.8 Pro II is
>about 4 feet! Who wants a 28mm that can only focus to 4 feet?

While I respect the preference you have for the Nikkor 35-702.8 over
the Tokina, I would have to disagree about the minimum focus distance
of 4ft! - my sample will focus to ~0.7m ( 2.3 ft). Still not
brilliant I agree, but not unusable. The Sigma 28-70EX is better with
a MOD of 0.4m, but the samples I tried had worse distortion, flare
than the Tokina.

Regards
Anthony