Christopher asked whether he should buy an SB-28 to go with his other speedlight
or purchase studio strobes for product shots. My opinion is studio strobes by a
large margin. As good as speedlights are, they do not offer the control you need
in the studio, where flash is the only light source. Using studio units you get:
modelling lights (proportional are best), which allow you to visualize the image
before exposure-no nasty shadows or reflections etc.

easy attachment of accessories-snoots, barn doors, softbox, brollies, gels etc.
much easier than trying to attach to speedlights.

lots of light-much more than speedlights, so depth of field control is easier.

I love my SB-24 but I am so glad I bought studio lights-it opens up so much more
photography (and provides a nice second income). Use the correct tools for the
job wherever possible-don't get fooled by the technology offered by speedlights.
It has its uses, especially outdoors, but is not a substitute for decent studio
flash gear.

Try not to get hung up on D matrix flash metering stuff. My Sekonic meter is
bang on every time and allows me to adjust the lighting BEFORE exposure. You
can't take flash readings from either side of a person or object with an F5 to
check for lighting balance (though you can with a leica R8, but lets not start a
brand war...).

Stewart