> Background: currently own N90s, SB-26,
        > SB-17, (lenses don't really matter),
        > decent tripod.

        > Option 1 - Purchase Nikon equipment -
        > probably an SB-28 along with some connector
        > to get that and my SB-26 talking to my N90s.
        > . . . .  Which connector would I need? And, are
        > their others with this setup? How does it
        > work?

        I've recently started playing around with this
        using an SB-27, SB-16B, SC-17, and SU-4.   The
        SC-17 is too short, I'm going to get a 15 foot
        PC cord and leave the SC-17 for use with my
        stroboframe.

        I quit fooling with TTL multi-flash pretty quickly.
        It's more trouble than it's worth -- you need to set
        the output of the two flashes independently to get
        decent results.  I set both flashes to manual, with
        the SB-16 set to full power as the key light and
        the SB-27 at reduced power for the fill (because
        it's more adjustable than the SB-16B).

        Given what you already own, I'd recommend that you
        get a decent flash meter instead of another flash.
        The SB-17 should be OK.  To hook everything up, you
        just need a long sync cable, and some kind of slave
        sensor for the second flash (the SU-4 works fine).
        The SU-4 has a tripod socket on it, you'll need an
        AS-10 or something similar to attach the other flash
        to the stand.

        > Option 2 - Pursue other non-strobe-flash studio
        > lighting. Like the Iowel Omni Light, or the
        > Desisti Magin Fresnel... I'd have to do a fair amount
        > of research to find out what I need, so it'd take
        > longer.

        > Is Option 1 good enough? Or, should I start looking
        > into #2?

        The biggest advantage of #2 is that you can adjust the
        lights just by looking at the subject.  With flash
        you don't know what happened until you develop the
        film (hence the popularity of Polaroid backs).

        I'd look into getting some small studio strobes with
        modeling lights before I switched to constant light
        sources.

        -Don