I was initially concerned about the "pink slip" but upon shooting a few rolls with the
28-105mm AF-D IF lens, the vignetting problem never cropped up and I was quite pleased
by the lens' performance. However, I was able to
detect a slight vignetting in the viewfinder while using the lens in macro mode at the
105mm setting but I was really close to the subject (about 1 1/2 inches) and had a
filter on.

It must be noted that the difference in macro reproduction between 85mm and 105mm is
really quite minimal (you can get a 1:2.74 reproduction ratio at the 50mm setting!) so
I was not worried about this issue. To be perfectly honest, I didn't get the lens for
its macro features (as I already have a 60mm Micro) but as a general purpose lens.

Whether or not possible vignetting at 105mm in macro mode is a "serious flaw" would
depend on your  perspective and whether or not you plan to do a lot of close-up macro
photography. As for me, I plan to keep this lens as it has several advantages over my
older 24-120mm AF-D lens.

Regards,

Anthony Nardelli