David,

That's bad news about the "pink slip" in the 28-105 AF D lens.

I wonder if the Tamron 28 to 105 f2.8 is any good?

Re your question about the 35 f2 I have the AF version of this lens and
it is a wonderful lens. I also have the 35 f1.4 and the 35 f2 AF is as
good or better with fantastic color and contrast. I had heard that early
MF versions of the 35 f2 were less than the modern version optically
(rumor only). I have 11 Nikkors and this is one that rides on one of my
N90s and the other N90s has the 85 f1.8 AF.

These may not be glamor focal lengths but you can take about 75% of
general photographs with them with excellent results. It all depends on
your approach to your subjects, of course. I think the trend of using
extra wide angle shots in editorial work, especially newspaper work, has
been worked to death. For color editorial work with 175 line
reproduction or better you can shoot this lens at about f5.6 and get
sharp subject close up and soft focus but still quite readable
background for illustration purposes.

I have lugged around, off and on, a 28mm f2.8 for 25 years and rarely
used it. I usually jump down to 24mm f2.8 from 35mm focal length. That being
said, I probably could be tempted with a 28mm f2 AF Nikkor if there were
such a lens in the $400 range. What I really want is a 24mm f2 AF lens.
Roland Vink (on this list) will advise you that the 28mm AIS is the best
for near field work because of its extreme close focus and CRC.
------------------------
As per this header David Elfstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> mentioned:

With great disappointment I report a serious flaw in the new 28-105mm
f/3.5-4.5 AF D IF lens. (Vignetting)

and

I am going to return this lens and exchange it for something else in the
wide-angle to normal range, probably the 35mm f/2. Any comments on the
following lenses for people & event photography would be greatly
appreciated: 28mm 2.8, 35mm 2, 50mm 1.4, keeping in mind that I already
have a 20mm and 60mm 2.8. Close focusing distance (0.25 m) is of primary

importance, as I like to include objects in the foreground.

Best Regards,
John Brink
Colorado Springs