> Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 11:15:11 -0500
> From: "Art Searle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D price [v04.n276/12]
>
> I find it interesting that according to the new Nikon USA
> catalog the suggested list price for the 80-200 f/2.8D
> (non-AFS) is $1,300 and the suggest list price for the
> 80-200 f/2.8D AF-S Zoom-Nikkor $1,585 or only $285
> more than the non-AFS version.  If B&H sells the
> non-AFS version for $875 shouldn't we expect to pay
> somewhere in the range of around $1,160 for this lens?
> The best price I've seen mentioned on this Digest is in
> $1,600 neighborhood.  Ouch!

Well, this is a typical supply and demand situation. The 80-200 AF-S
is a "hot" item at this time and there are plenty of people who are
willing to pay $1600 for one. If B&H can make a few hundred dollars
more, why shouldn't they sell it for more? Once those who must be
the first in the block to have that lens get theirs, the price will come
down.

I'll wait a while to see whether there are any major bugs in this lens
and for the price to come down. The same for the F100.

-- Shun Cheung                [EMAIL PROTECTED]                 (732) 615-5135
      Kenya Photo Safari -- http://photo.net/photo/nature/kenya.html
          Antarctica -- http://photo.net/photo/nature/antarctica.html