Matthias,

     I used two F4 bodies as my photographic backbone for nearly 8 years
     (the "s" version, of course...). Compared with my F3s, I found it too
     heavy, but very helpful in terms of metering (eg matrix metering will
     work with AF- lenses as well as with MF-lenses) and speed. I found the
     F4 much more quicker in terms of handling and shooting than the F3
     (where to read the metering in the viewfinder is - though I use the HP
     version - not too easy for me). Nevertheless I found all the knobs,
     switches, buttons sometimes too confusing as well as the viewfinder.

     I personally had a lot of trouble with one of my bodies, which died in
     the Indian dessert during a long trip. Sand went through the sealings
     and blocked some of the mechanic parts. BTW: my F3/MD4-combo worked
     fine all the time... In addition to this, the rubber coating went off
     the body, which was not too funny at 42 degrees.

     Cons against the F4:

     - slow AF
     - heavy for what it is
     - confusing viewfinder
     - confusing usage
     - bad sealings
     - sometimes not reliable...

     Pros for the F4:

     - cheap (I think the body costs sth. like a third of a F5)
     - powering (It's simple to use common NiCads instead of batteries)
     - matrix metering will work with nearly all lenses (which is,
     meanwhile, no more point for me, as I have upgraded all my lenses to
     the latest AF-/AF-S versions)

     Personally, I'd go for a FM-2 as a backup body, because it's rugged,
     lightweight, mechanical, simple and will work and work and work. (If
     you want to buy a used one, let me know...) I love my FM-2s in
     addition to my F5 bodies and normaly I take one with me all the time.

     If you need further infos, let me know.

     Hope this helps,

     Michael
     Michael F. Heidecker