>Finally I´ve decided to get a new zoom for my F-50, after shooting with the
>35-80mm f4-5.6 for 1½ year. I had a look at the Sigma AF 70-300 f4-5.6 DL
>Macro Super and to me it seemed ok. If there is somebody who has used this
>zoom I would be more than glad to hear your experiences about it. And  also
>from other 3rd party 70-300mm zooms. I´ve planned to spend around 300-400$
>but if the Nikon AF 70-300mm f4-5.6D ED is far superior than the others I
>might consider getting it for the 500$ wich it costs here in Finland. But as
>I am a poor student I would rather get a cheaper one if the quality isnt so
>much worse.

I own a Tamron 70-300 LD that I bought used for $150. New it is around $250
at B&H. I compared it with the (old?) Nikon 75 - 300 ED that a friend of
mine owns and I think the two lenses share the same optical design. I
remember that I read this on someone else's webpage, too. Are they produced
by the same manufacturer? I guess, as with other products, a lot of
photographic equipment these days is not necessarily made by a certain
company even if it still carries the brand logo.
I think the Tamron is of good optical quality for the price. Don't expect
too much on the long end and wide open, but otherwise it is at least o.k..
However, the mechanical stability makes you wonder how it is possible to
get a picture with that lens at all. The Nikon 70-300 lens seems to be more
stable in its mechanical design, although it is still far away from rugged.
This lenses makes me think of one of this kits I used to play with as a
child, where you could build your own SLR out of a box full of plastic
lenses an parts. (Sorry, but I like the good old heavy manual lenses. I own
the Nikon 35-70/2.8D and that mechanical design is decent for an autofocus
lens.)
A general tip: If you don't know already the page of Klaus Schroiff check
it out. It has tables of lens performance for the major brands collected
from input of many persons. So the scattering due to individual opinions
are averaged out.
i31www.ira.uka.de/~klaus_s/
I think there is a mirror site at:

www.cmpsolv.com/photozone/
Greetings,
Markus

Markus Berheide                     Phone:  (203) 431-5318
Schlumberger-Doll Research          Fax:    (203) 438-3819
Old Quarry Road
Ridgefield, CT 06877-4108     E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]