I faced the same dilemma as you.
I have a 20, a 80-200 and a broken down 28-85 AIS.
I wanted a midrange lens, faster than my old 28-85/3.5-4.5.

I ruled out the 28-70 AF-S for the reasons of cost, weight and
(less important) filter size. I also ruled out fixed focal length
as I needed a lens that could be used for 'family shots' in addition
to nature work.

I chose the old trusty 35-70/2.8 for the following reasons:
        - far cheaper than 28-70 AF-S (a third of the price)
        - close focusing at 35mm (closer than the 28-70)
        - takes 62mm filters - can use the 6T close up filter;
        otherwise this was not too important as I have the 77mm pol &
        grad filters.
        - push-pull works the same as 80-200 (one touch) in that
        you pull things closer (i.e. increase focal length)

The only draw-backs with the 35-70/2.8:
        - rotating filter threads (at least they don't rotate when
        you zoom also, like my old 28-85 AIS did)
        - somewhat limiting with the widest being 35, but I usually
        prefer to go much wider when I go wide anyway

Just my $0.02.

-Bjorn