Hello all,

[Butch wrote:

Hello Nikoneers!  Nikon recently(?) announced the release of the new
AF Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6D ED.  Is anyone familiar with this
lens?  I mean, is it sharp enough?  And does anyone know how much it
currently costs?

<munch>

Any information would be appreciated.  Thanks.]

I have this lens, but it is still new, so anyone feel free to correct
me if any of the technical info is wrong.

It seems pretty reasonable and is a convenient
size, weight and zoom for my F50, although too slow to get nice
blurry backgrounds at any distance other than really close...
(Personal Opinion only). The only thing I don't really like about it
is that it creeps very easily - the weight of the lens barrel itself
is almost enough to zoom it when held pointing down, never mind any
minor vibration. It comes with a plastic hood of dubious looking
strength but as long as it really is "Nikon Magic Plastic" it should
be OK judging from some of the other posts in this list. (The
lens body is plastic by the way, which is OK if you like lighter cameras).

Image quality seems fine, but I haven't had any big enlargements made
yet, so perhaps someone else could comment. I can say that it is much
 better than the Sigma 28-200 I traded in for it, but I guess
that is too be expected (also personal opinion).

You mileage may vary but I find it quite difficult to handhold at 300
 and it doesn't have a tripod mount. Get a monopod and stick the
end in your belt - improves matters dramatically whilst still allowing
 for reasonable ease of movement and shutter speeds slower than 1/500
:)).

Cheers

Craig