Does anyone know if the SB-23 is able to be used in Auto mode  on a
FM2n?
<<<<<<<<<<

No, it does not. On an FM2n it will fire a full power burst only.

I'd recommend instead the Olympus S-20 flash (it's actually made by Metz).
At 2" x 3-1/4" x 1" it's tiny, smaller than the SB-23, and at $50 (at B&H,
where I bought mine) it costs considerably less. But it has the same guide
number - the same power - as an SB-23, with two auto modes in addition to
full manual, allowing greater control. Like the SB-23 it covers the angle
of a 35 mm lens, but it also comes with a snap-on diffuser to cover a 24 mm
lens' angle-of-view. It runs on two AA batteries.

I rarely use flash but always carry this unit with me. It takes little
space in my camera bag or pants pocket, and I have it just in case. The
best small flash I've yet found for the FM2n.

Larry