Dear all,

I'll take a few minutes this morning to say a word about Tokyo Photo Expo
that took place this weekend in Ikebukuro.

In terms of Nikon related products:

*       I could play for a few seconds with the new 28-70 AF-S ED to be
released in Japan on March 25th at the official price of 220.000 Yen
(meaning it should be available around 180.000 Yen street price). The lens
is really big, but just as nicely built as one would expect from the AF-S
series lenses. Although it weights a good 935 gr. I thought the handling was
very good. I was a little disappointed with the AF speed (the lens was
mounted on a F100) that didn't really appear to be much faster than the
35-70 f2.8 I use with my F90X. This is of course just an impression, I
didn't make any measurement, and I don't know how the freshness of the
F100's batteries impacts the AF speed of AF-S lenses mounted on it.
*       Also displayed were the new Coolpix 950 and 700 to be released in
March as well. They will feature a 2.1 million pixel CCD (the best
resolution at the moment if I am well informed). It should be said though
that the highest resolution that can be reached seems to be 1600*1200, the
actual number of usable pixels is therefore "only" 1.920.000 (only one of
these images will be savable on a 8MB card). The 950, that looks just like
the Coolpix 900/910, has a 3X zoom built in (I am not sure about the focal
length, 24-70 2.6-3.8, I can check if anyone is interested?). It will also
be possible to buy fisheye and teleadapters to vary the focal length of the
zoom (respectively from 7 to 20mm and from 120 to 240 mm approximately). The
950 will be able to use the SB28 to back up its built in flash. Its official
price will be 125.000 Yen. No official release date was diplayed for the
700.
*       Also displayed was the mockup of the F100 with digital back. No
information was available about it exact characteristics, release time and
price. Chasseur d'Image stated recently that it would be available in
September with a 2.5 million pixel CCD.
*       To add a word about fashion, I also saw the super AF-S tele lenses
in their new light grey version, they look a bit like Canon lenses. I don't
know what next season's color is gonna be…
*       I also played with the new Sigma 14mm f2.8 EX HSM. It seems to be a
very nice lens, with reasonable image distortion (taking its focal length
into consideration). Its street price is around 94.000 Yen in Tokyo. Once
again, Chasseur d'Image has already tested that lens and gave it 4 stars
(which they haven't given too often to Sigma products if I am right). Their
new 17-35 f2.8 was also there but I didn't have the chance to put my hands
on it.
*       I also played with the new Tokina 300 f2.8 AF. As the lens does not
have a built in motor, it is of course not as fast as the Nikon AF-S, but
its AF speed seemed pretty good on the F100. The 2 problems are of course
the impossibility to keep the AF with Nikon teleadapters and the necessity
to use 112 mm front lens filters. The official price of the lens is 360.000
Yen. I am not sure whether the lens can be used with a tripod collar of not.
*       The star of the show was probably the new Contax 645.

Sorry for the long post and for the possible inaccuracy of the info,

Best regards,

Bernard

Solvay Automotive Asia KK
Sangenjaya - Horisho Bld. 1F, 12-39,