To Nikoneers Looking For A Bargain:

Aware of the upcoming F100 and the pros and cons I had read about the
Nikon 90s, I took advantage of what seemed to be a good price, plus
instant rebate in early December, and bought the older thing and had
enough left in my photo piggy bank to afford a couple of D lenses, the
35mm f2 and 85mm f1.8, plus the SB28.

I am enjoying my 90s system and plan to continue enjoying it in the
foreseeable future.  The AF is fast enough for me.  Coming from an Fm2n,
I had no previous auto knobs and buttons to unlearn and adapted to the
new camera very quickly. I find it suits my style, which includes using
the 90s and Fm2n as companions rather than the latter being a mere
backup.

Recently I tried my 50-135mm f3.5 AIS Zoom on the 90s using the
rangefinder as a focusing aid and the Aperture Priority mode just to see
how the thing would work out.  It worked like a charm as I could focus
quickly with excellent results either relying on the auto exposure or
using the exposure lock to nudge the shutter speed in a desired
direction.

A flaw I knew about, the 90s is not particularly quiet.  In practice it
is fine outdoors and no problem in rooms with light to moderate talking.
 But in the quiet of the Metropolitan Museum of Art Saturday evening
when the crowd had thinned out, it did make a distinct, I'm taking a
picture, sound.  Fortunately photos were permitted without a tripod and
without flash.  And at least with my lenses and my hands, the camera
balances well so that in low light situations, I get good results hand
held with much lower than optimum shutter speeds if necessary.

The F100 seems to have the makings of a great camera.  But right now I
find the 90s very good, very good for me.

Tom T