Do people out the really think AF-S is necessary in the 20-35 range?  I
don't own this lens (yet), but I did try it at a store recently, and thought
the AF speed was great.  Would the AF-S really be needed here, or would it
just jack the price up to $2K+? Just wondering what the opinions are?

In trying the AF-S 80-200, I found one of the greatest benefits of the AF-S
technology to be the ability to manually focus a lens any time, without
having to first flip a switch. Particuarly on a wide angle lens, where I'm
more likely to want to focus on a portion of the scene not covered by a
little focus square, that capability would indeed be a big benefit.

Larry