I agree its odd that the price of a new F4s would be more than the price
of a new F5.

Maybe the F4 bodies were imported when the yen was high and the F5
bodies were imported when the yen was low.  Nikon also seems to want to
make the F5 attractive to buyers, perhaps trying to lure back those who
switched from Nikon to Brand C back when the EOS 1 and 1n were so hot.

Looks like most stores would have a sale and move F4 bodies out at a
loss to make room for F5 and F100 bodies. But it is the case that the F3
remains available and very expensive. Perhaps there is a value in having
new bodies in older models in stock.

In any case, the way to buy an F4 right now is to buy a good clean used
one (try for serial number 24xxxxxxx and above) owned by folks who have
the itch to move up to
the F5 or the F100. Prices are now running from $850-1200.
--
John N. Wall
email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

We are not revitalized or transformed as often by a change of
circumstances
as we are by a change of perspective.