> Anyway, I use an F5, and I was looking at a 600mm f/5.6 ED-IF AIS.
> However, it suddenly occured to me that this lens does not have a CPU in
> it; therefore I cannot use matrix metering.  Is this correct?

Correct. The F4 will give matrix metering with AIS lenses, not the F5.

> To use Matrix metering, I would have to use one of the AF lenses, or the
> 500mm f/4 P lens. Again, is this correct?

Again, correct. For metering, the 500/4 P is essentially the same as a non-D
AF lens. If I were you, I would get the 500/4 P over the 600/5.6 because:
 - it gives matrix metering with AF cameras
 - it's a stop faster
 - can use the TC-14B to give 700/5.6 (this has a great reputation)
 - it's about the same size and weight (just as easy to carry)

I don't know about the price... Hope this helps,
Roland.