I had a play with a friend's Canon with a USM lens and I am now converted to the
benefits (of the USM not Canon!). Forget about gaining another nanosecond on
focussing time, the real benefit is full manual override. Being able to tweak
the focus because something moves slightly or the AF sensor is in the wrong
place is a real bonus.

AFS lenses will give the best of both worlds, fast, quiet AF with manual
focussing. Also, for us poor F5 users, battery consumption will decrease. All
focal lengths should be AFS for the manual override-it makes AF cameras the
perfect tool.

At the risk of starting a flame (please take this next comment as an honest,
open opinion), Nikon have let us down in AF lenses. Whilst they have had to deal
with the Canon patents on USM ( which has led to the delay in AFS) now that they
are able to offer it, what do we get: 28-105 non AFS!!? Surely this should have
been AFS. Canon offers USM in nearly all focal lengths and even in the cheap
plastic zoom jobbies. And talking of focal lengths, the Canon AF line up is more
comprehensive than the Nikon AF line (I know we can use AIS, but we should have
a AF105 f2.5, AF135 f2.8 etc-it's called choice). Nikon used to pride itself on
the 'system', but they seem content to offer only very expensive AF versions of
certain lenses(135f2DC) or expensive AIS because of low production runs.

I hope this doesn't sound like a rant because having tried a Canon for the first
time (nasty plastic thing with an awful viewfinder), I now know just how good my
Nikons are! But that doesn't mean they couldn't get better.

Stewart