Sorry for the late reply John. I am living in Bangkok so I may be of
some help.

>Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 17:37:40 -0800 (PST)
>From: John Foster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: SE asia 'where to...?' and a film question [v04.n281/18]
>Message: 18
>
>Folks,
>
>I will be in Laos, Thailand and Vietnam for some months.  Where
>can I get (Nikon) service, and where can I shop for used gear in Bangkok,
>Vientiane, Hanoi, Chiang Mai or other cities in the region.

For service, go to Niks (Thailand).
166 Silom 12 Bangkok 10500 Thailand
Phone : 235 2929, 635 6750
Fax : 635 6573

I know people in there and will have no problem telling them that my good
Nikon friend will be visiting them.

They are authorized center which sell Nikon equipment also. Their prices
are a little bit above grey market so I suggest going there. They won't
cheat you. I will be happy to discuss more about buying things in Thailand
via e-mail.

Among the place that you will be going to. I believe that Bangkok is the best
place to buy or have things repaired.

I have no recommendation for shops for used gears at the moment. Actually,
I don't think that it is a very good idea. Most of the shops here are
mischievous
and will wholeheartedly cheat customers whenever possible. Now, one more
problem is that you are a foreigner. That makes you a target for intentional
price increase! New gears are not so expensive here. Have a look around
first.

>Also, wht is the recommendation for film?  Where is there a kodachrome lab
>in that region?  Should I snail-mail it back to the states, or should I
>keep it till I return?  Fuji slide (E-6) is fairly available, but I will
>probably stock up on Kodachrome 64 and 25(?).  For the E-6 film, should I
>go on and get it developed there?

You can always get your slide (E-6) developed here. It is safe. Let me know
where you will be staying and I will try to locate a good lab nearest to you.
Normally, you can get your neg and prints back within the day. For E-6, you
may have to wait 1-3 days depending on the lab. They usually don't dev it
themselves. Instead, they send your films to a larger lab and wait.

Have a good time! :)

PS: When you are in Bangkok, feel free to call me if you need help.
Phone : 2377532
Pager : 162-167097
Mobile : 01-6580067

Best regards,