Bimmer Man wrote:
>An old national geographic ad tells me that the Nikon F601 has the most
versatile >built in  flash ever in a compact SLR. (during it's time
off-course) How true is this? >Anyone care to provide a summary of what the
F601's flash can do that others >cannot?

Bimmer Man

Probably what they are referring to is that the F601 has all the NIkon
flash goodies built into the camera body, as opposed to built into the
flash. What I mean by that is that is that it has things like flash
compensation, rear curtain sync and flash fill etc. built into the body. To
get some of these features on my F90X, I had to purchase a SB-26 flash and
a MF-26 databack. With my F601, I can do this with my Metz 32CT4  flash.

For anybody that isn't aware of the fact, the F601 is a very good camera,
yes it's AF is slow compared to the 50/60/70/90/90X etc. but it does have
some desireable feaures. Some of these include autobracketing, the
previously stated flash controls, a normal cable release to name a few. The
F601 was supposed to be replaced by the F70/N70, but Nikon kept it in
production for close to 3 years and it was sold right along side of the
F70/N70. I have made several posts regarding this in past digests, you may
want to check the archives. If you have any questions on the F601 feel free
to email me.

>Sincerely, this is my honest opinion on the F70. It performs well, it's
fast and meters >accurately with built in flash exposure second to no other
camera on the face of this >earth but yet, it's not approachable.

I would agree with you here, although I really have no experience with the
F70/N70 camera, so I really don't want to comment too much on this.

>All the goddies that this camera has to offer is locked behind that stupid
fan segmented >LCD. Trying to use it during those fleeting moments always
result in dissappointment.

I admit that would be frustrating, but this is where it's important, no
matter what camera you own, to read the manual, play with your camera while
it has no film in it. Ever tried to figure out a F90X with a MF-26 databack
on it? It too can be somewhat confusing. This is why I always say "A person
should get to know his equipment inside and out." It's no disgrace to have
your camera manual in your bag. An example of this would be as follows;

If you and I were standing face to face and I asked you to quickly tell me
which direction do I turn aperture ring on my Nikkor lens to get maximum
aperture or which direction do I turn to focus on infinity, Could you tell
me or would you have to look down at your camera? You'd be surprised how
many people can't.

>If only Nikon had reworked the interface to resemble more of the
friendlier F90x or F100,

Yes I agree that would be nice, but I'm sure that Nikon felt "at the time"
that the interface was okay. If they had it to do over again I'm sure that
they would rethink it.

BTW, I know that this may seem trivial to you and not intended to flame
you, but as a point of interest and FWIW, most people on this list
including myself like to see postings signed with a real name and not a
nickname hiding behind the anonymity of Yahoo or Hotmail etc.. I personally
prefer addressing a post to someone using a real name

Terry
Terry J. Graham -  Freelance Photographer
Graham Fine Art Photography
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED].