After having worked for a half-dozen Texas newspapers as a reporter and photographer
over
a 20+ year period I found most newspaper photogs used an amalgamation of 35mm cameras,
although it was predominately Nikon.

The smaller the paper the more likely the photog owned all of his equipment.  The
largest
paper I worked for in Fort Worth had a lens bank of the more exotic Nikon equipment,
like
the 6mm fisheye and the super teles from 400mm to 1200mm, that each photog checked out
as
needed.   But we had a couple photographers who used Canons (even an old AE-1) for the
routine everyday photos (usually they carried 3-4 lenses ranging from 20-300mm), a
couple
more who used Leica rangefinder and SLRs with 2-3 lenses (but they also had at least
one
Photomic F or F2a, or maybe an F3, body so they could use the exotic stuff the paper
owned.)  The other 10 or so photographers used nearly all Nikons, although one or two
also
had Hasselblads..  When I got out of the media business, the F3 was the newest Nikon
SLR
in production.  The paper even wired the local sports arena with remote control
strobes in
the rafters to photograph minor league hockey and basketball. I'm surprised the paying
customers didn't complain when all those strobes went off.  It was interesting when a
photog fired off a couple second burst trying for the best stop action shot.

I did have one photographer friend who owned a small town weekly with his brother
south of
Dallas/Fort Worth.  He only used a 6x6 Rolleiflex TLR and an Exacta 35mm with a couple
lenses.  He had been a photog for Stars and Stripes in WWII and wasn't about to change
his
style, habits, or equipment.

I'm not sure how many list members are familiar with a branch of Nikon called NPS
(Nikon
Professional Services or at least that was the name I knew it until 1987 when I left
the
media business).  At the final newspaper I worked for as a reporter more than
photographer
for 10 years, an NPS technician would visit the photo lab about every few months and
spend
a couple days cleaning, adjusting, and relubricating every Nikon  in the place for
free.
Since I carried and FM and FE with MD-11 motors the photo staff let me in the lab and
drop
off my two cameras and get them readjusted, etc. ( besides I had more police radios at
home and in my car that the whole photo staff did).

I never saw a Canon technician come by the photo lab in the 10 years I worked at the
Fort
Worth newspaper.  They may have come by, I just never saw them there.

Also both NPS and Canon usually have technicians and reps at most major sporting and
news
events, such as the Super Bowl, Democratic and Republican conventions, Wimbledon tennis
matches, in the media areas where they will work on the pros' cameras that need
repairs,
usually for free.  They used to (and may still do it) would lend out camera bodies and
lenses for free while the photogs equipment was being repaired.

I even got a free Canon fanny pack (which my wife promptly confiscated for her use) at
Canon's booth at the 1984 Republican Party Convention in Dallas, all the while I had
an my
FM and FE over my shoulder.  Yes I do own a couple Canons, an AS-6 underwater and A-1
underwater point and shoots.  I know they're not a Nikonos, but my wife bought them
for me
to take photos of our kids at the beach, rather than risking getting sand in my F3.
NPS
gave me some decals and Nikon calendars at the GOP convention.

I'm sure both Nikon's and Canon's service departments are equally qualified in the work
they do for the pros.

Tom Anderson
Bedford, Texas