Hi Nikon Fans,

When I was in Hong Kong last April, the humidity was a sweating 98%. My
camera and lenses got wet every time I leave a car or store with AC. I was
only there for one week, but a zoom lens has got fungus inside now. (Zoom
lenses are more prone to fungus, as the elements are not sealed, unlike
primes.) I will never take en expensive lens or camera to a humid place
anymore. Instead, I have assembled a cheap but OK set of secondhand Nikons
(FG) and third party (Tamron) lenses for humid or potentially tourist
unfriendly places. This way, I won't loose any sleep if they are damaged or
stolen.

Word of advise for those visiting the far east. Don't buy secondhand lenses.
The odds are that they had fungus grown inside, and probably been cleaned by
Nikon or worst still by an unofficial repair corner shop. I found that even
when a lens is cleaned, there is still some marks on the multicoating as the
fungus had eaten some of it away.

Happy shooting,

Sover