I use an N70 for Macro work, and would like to insert a few minor points.

1.  The N70 does not need the MC-12A release cable for most macro work.
Unless the subject is moving, you can use the 8 second shutter delay
for hands free shots.

2.  I would recommend the 3021S tripod by Bogen.  It is a shorter version
of the 3021, and remove the extra segment of the center post.  This will
get you much closer to ground level without any contortions.  That, with
the spreadable legs does a great job for me.

3.  You might like a Macro Slider for perfect close up imaging.  A Velbon
costs about $90 from B&H, and is the difference, IMO, from dead nuts to
almost.  Otherwise, you must reset all your gear to move a couple of inches.

4.  A lot of my work improved with the use of backlighting with small
reflectors, but I am trying to learn how to use my SB-28 with the SC-17 cable
on a Bogen 3008 Mini Tripod.  Something else to consider.  Getting the
right light is the art of perfection!

5.  You need a ballhead, IMO, that will support the camera and lens in
a stable position vertically and horizontally.  Try before you buy.
I use a Stroboframe Pro-3, a medium size ballhead of very solid construction,
capable of holding my heavier lenses in any orientation.  No one can argue
against Arca Swiss, but there are less expensive choices that will do
the job quite well.  I also use Bogen quick-release mechanisms.

I can't comment on your lens choice, I have never used the 70-300mm.  I do
know I am thrilled with my 105mm f2.8 Micro. I also like Velvia, and I
don't push it.  I love it as is. Good Shooting.  ;~) John