John Wall's detailed post regarding the Tokina 20-35/2.8 reminds me of my
experience with a Tamron 70-210/2.8.  The Tamron was quite good optically,
but you have to slide a sleeve back to focus manually.  Then you sort of
reach down into a trough to focus.  This was enough of a difference in
operation that I eventually replaced the Tamron with Nikon's 80-200/2.8
(when they finally added a tripod collar.)  I realize now that using only
Nikkors has the advantage that there's some consistency in the mechanical
interfaces.  Infinity focus is all the same direction - there used to be
some consistency in filter sizes , etc.  All these are little things, but I
appreciate have things work and feel pretty much the same regardless of
which lens I happen to have on the camera.  When the lights good and things
are changing fast I want to concentrate on the subject not the tools I'm
using.