I have a Nikon 1000mm lens.  The last time I used it  was in Denali Park
in Alaska
where I was "hunting" a pica (a small, mouse looking animal with large
Mickey
Mouse like ears).  It was an overcast day.  It did a very nice job
considering the amount of light and it starts at f11.
The hardest thing was getting the camera pointed at the little
creature.  Has anyone ever seen a sighting scope for this lens?
You need to keep the  tripod as short as possible and use fast film.

Later that day I tried to shoot a moose in a pond.  The wind was blowing
about
15 or 20 mph and a good number of frames suffered from movement, even
with a
good tripod and Arca-Swiss ball head.

Good luck,

Larry Zakem