Untung Simardjo wrote:

> Has anyone use another polarizer filter for this lens (20-35/2.8D) besides
> Nikon polarizer filter?
>
> Nikon polarizer filter has a big optional lens hood that cannot be used if
> the filter is attached to 20-35/2.8D.
>
> Has anyone use B&W thin polarizer filter?  Can the front element rotate?

Yes, the best polarizer I know of for the 20-35mm f/2.8 Nikon zoom
is the one I use:  B+W Slim MULTICOATED Circular Polarizer, and the
front element does definitely rotate (it's a two-part filter like most
polarizers, where the inside ring is threaded and screws into the lens,
and the outside ring rotates the captive polarizer glass).  Be warned,
though, that this polarizer has no outside threads.  The consequence
is that you can't stack filters over the polarizer, and you have to get
creative with the lens cap if you want to keep the polarizer on when storing
your lens -- I've heard stories of caps from Pringle's cans...

B+H in New York sells them for around $180, if I remember right.  They
also have B+W Slim MULTICOATED Skylight/Haze filters for around $130.

As far as I know, using the hood that is made for the lens is always your
best bet.  It's bayonet-mounted, so the distance to the lens is always
accurate, and vignetting (from the hood) should not be a problem.

--Kristen