> Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 09:42:52 +0100
> From: Eertmans Nicolas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE:Cable shutter release [v04.n293/22] [v04.n296/2]
> Message: 2
>
        >> For tripod work I thought it essential to use a
        >> cable release to help eliminate camera shake. Why
        >> on earth has this practice been discouraged on
        >> modern cameras by the lack of a socket?

        Because the shutter release on new cameras is more
        than just the shutter release.  It's also starts and
        locks the AF system and the meter.  It costs more and
        takes up more space in the camera to duplicate all of
        the wiring for the switch in two different places.

        Besides, the mechanical cables are standard -- everybody
        makes them -- so Nikon couldn't make a fortune selling them
        for $100 each like they can with the electronic ones.

        > From the AF Nikon cameras, the latter have a traditional
        > cable release socket: F4(on the MB21 battery pack, if I
        > remember correctly), F601 and possibly F5.

        The mechanical release socket on the F4s is on the back
        of the body, lower left corner.  The electrical release
        socket is on the MB21.

        The F5 does not have a socket for a mechanical release.

        -Don