Owen

With regards to your question on the lenses, IMO, I would go with the
85/1.8 as my first choice and the 105 as my second choice. Personally, I'm
not a big fan of the 135 DC lens, but I have to qualify that statement by
saying that I haven't  had too much experience with the lens, so I don't
feel I can comment fairly. I do know that it is a very expensive lens.

Both the 85 and 105 lenses are legendary in their performance and are
considered to be incredibly sharp lenses. Some say too sharp for portrature

To me it would come down to what you are photographing. You mentioned that
you took portraits of family and friends. IF these are the more formal head
and shoulders shots then I would go with the 105mm, basically so you can
put some space between you and your subject. This way you won't be right on
top of them when you're photographing them.

On the other hand, If your portraits are more of the full length type or of
several people at the same time, I'd go with the 85mm because you won't
have to be so far away from them.

I personally have the Nikkor 85mm/1.8 AF and a Tamron 35-105mm/2.8 and I
use both for portraiture, depending on the circumstances. I probably like
the 85 a little better because it's smaller and lighter. I hope that this
helps, if you have any other questions email me at either address.

Regards
Terry
Terry J. Graham -  Freelance Photographer
Graham Fine Art Photography
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED].     home
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]. work