jon wrote:

>From: Jon Cunningham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: RE: FA/FE-2 and metering with flash [v04.n272/16]
>
>Marc,
>
>I'm the guy who wrote the note about replacing my FE-2 with an FA because I
>prefer to run the camera off of the motor drive batteries. For that reason,
>  >snip<
>
>That said, I would have to say that if the most important feature in making
>your decision on which camera to buy is the ability to use TTL flash in
>Aperture Priority Mode (APM), then the FE-2 is the ONLY way to go. The FE-2
>does this normally, without any modifications.
>
>However, the FE-2 puts no "brakes" on shutter speed in APM, if the aperture
>chosen with a high speed film causes the needle to go beyond 1/250 there is
>a potential sync problem. I say "potential," because I've never risked just
>going ahead an shooting when the needle pointed to 1/500 or above. I
>instead would stop down until the needle dropped to 1/250 or below. I don't
>think there is any safety device built into the FE-2 to keep the shutter
>speed in sync when a speedlight is attached. So, more often than not, I
>used the camera in manual mode when using a speedlight.
>
>  >snip<

I say:

i have an fe-2, and when i load the film i usually set the shutter speed to
1/4000th in
order to expedite the process of advancing the first couple of frames. i
normally shoot in apperture priority mode. last week i needed to take some
indoor shots so i loaded my film, but this time around i forgot to turn the
selector knob back to A, so it remained on 1/4000. i put my sb-24 on top,
and shot off about 6 frames before i realised the shutter speed was set
incorrectly. it was too late by then, (isn't it always?) so i just
corrected my mistake and hoped for the best. when the prints came back,
they were beautiful, no half or third frames exposed etc. therefore the
fe-2 does have "brakes" on the shutter, even when manually set to a speed
higher than sync.

regards, manny.
               Manny Crisan
         Perth, Western Australia