Hello,

I guess the emphasis in the question was on "SLR" instead of "35mm". What
Roland said is of course correct, too.
SLR (Single Lens Reflex) means that the viewfinder and the film use the
same lens, as opposed to some larger format cameras or most pocket
cameras. When using a non-SLR camera, the image you see in the viewfinder
has a slightly different perspective than the image on the film. This
effect is only important when shooting very close subjects.
Bottom line:
SLR = photographer looks through the (usually) removable lens, and sees
what the film sees.
non-SLR = photographer's view is parallel to the film's view.

If anybody disagrees, please let me know.

Cheers
Boris
boris dot achermann at switzerland dot org