Dave asked:
> So, my question to all of you is as follows:  Is it possible to upgrade
> the focusing motor in use in the camera?  You know, just as a car engine
> can be supercharged, it is possible alter the focusing mechanism of my
> 601?

Nikon for sure does not offer that kind of service. And it would not be
economically interesting.

Changing the AF motor by another would be highly difficult, as it should
fit in exactly the same space and have the same connections.

Moreover, it would not change dramatically the AF. The way the motor is
driven is at least as important: the AF software and the power supply
play a big role in the perfs.

The only thing that could easily improve a bit the AF speed would be to
go for another power source (other kind of batteries, higher voltage?).
Not that I recommend trying this as you might simply fry the
electronics, as the F601 is not planned for anything else than the 6v
lithium battery.

If you really need faster AF, I recommend you take a look at a more
recent camera :-(

Nicolas.