> Could sombody please explain, in 'english', what makes the
35mm SLR
> unique as compared to all other 35mm's.
When I upgraded to my first SLR (Nikkormat) from a Ricoh
rangefinder camera the benefits I wanted and found were:

Viewing and photographing through the same lens.  This
allows "what you see is what you get".  This means that when
it looks in focus it is and there is no parallax error.  The
Nikkormat also had depth of field preview which allowed the
range of focus to be checked.

Interchangeable lenses.  While some rangefinder and twin
lens reflex cameras have interchangeable lenses, the range
and ease of use is nothing like that of SLR's.  YOu
immediately see the effect of the lens and the angle of
view.

Alex