T4

>I went through this with my fiancee a couple of months ago. She wanted to
>take pictures, and while she was supposed to be "test driving" an SLR at
>B&H, she wandered over to the P&S aisle and wound up with one of those nifty
>little Yaschica T-4's. For $150, it's terrific, it's got a nice Zeiss lens
>and the top rangefinder is fun.
>Anyhow, she's become much more critical of her photos since she started
>shooting B&W film, so now she wants the SLR.
>I'm thinking about getting her the N60 with either a 50mm or a 35mm lens,
>whichever perspective she prefers.

If she wants a P&S SLR, the N60 will work.  The winder speed on it and
other auto functions will put it very close to the T4 in response and
handling, with the advantage of all the Nikon lenses.  I have a T4 myself,
and I did an entire shot in Thailand with it because it ewas the only wide
angle lens I had at the time.  With the great fill flash and close up
capabilities, the T4 is always on me, even when I carry  a couple F5s,
there is always room for the T4.  Do not upgrade from the T4, complement it
instead, it is a great camera and I have pics in my portfolio, 11x14, from
the little T4!

------------------------------
CHEAPIE LENSES?

>Another issue is that some people spend a lot of money on a good camera body
>then use it with a poor lens.  What is the point of doing that?  That is like
>buying a Ferrari and putting bicycle tires on it.

When I wanted a hyper-wide angle lens my optionis were the Sigma 14mm
($600) or Nikon 13mm ($12,000).  I opted for the Sigma, it is AF too.  The
13mm is also a 5.6, ugh.  Now when you are talking about regularly
available lenses like a 50mm or 85mm I say check out Nikon first, but if
they are missing something then look around.  A biddy wants an 80-400 zom
and he likes the Tokina.  The Nikon 70-300 is not built as well as the
80-400 either.  Yes he can buy an 80-200AFS and the TC20E, but now the
price is ridiculous for his needs.  Nikon cannot please every photographer
out there and there are some great third party lenses.  If Nikon cannot
meet the demands of all shooters, that is how 3rd parties make their money.

------------------------------
DISNEYWORLD

>Several of us "young kids" (youngest 55 yrs) are going to Disney World in
>April.  My question is, what equipment to take, I have:
>Cameras:     Nikon F5 and Fm2N
>Zoom Lens:  Nikon 20-35/2.8D, 35-70/2.8D and 80-200/2.8D
>Prime lens:   Nikon 20/2.8D, 35/2.0 and 85/1.8
>Flash:           Nikon SB-28 and SB-22S

I used to go to Disneyland weekly with an annual pass and every time I went
I'd take a different lens, but only ONE lens.  One time it was the 8mm
f/2.8.  Another time it was the 400, or a 16 fisheye, or a macro lens.  Try
limiting yoursef to one lens and expanding with your mind and not your
arsenal.  It can be quite fun!  but if this was a one timne trip for me,
because of the way I shoot, I'd bring an F5 9with fresh batteries!) with
the 80-200 and SB28.

Robert in Redlands