Well the simple answer to the question about how to upgrade a 6006/601
is to buy an N70, which carries forward roughly the same features set
and adds a faster and more accurate AF system.

Would Nikon (or someone) install the motor from the N70 in a 6006 body?
My guess is yes, somebody would (but probably not Nikon), for a price,
but the price would probably be higher than the price of several new N70
bodies.  You can find someone to do most anything for a price.  Check
with a local repair shop as to whether this is doable without major
internal reconstruction.

But unless you just like to tinker, think N70.

The N80? Imagine an N70 with some features of the F100. Which features?
My guess would be the AF motor and central sensor, but not multiple
focus points. Definitely no DOF preview. But with a built-in flash.
--
John N. Wall
email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

We are not revitalized or transformed as often by a change of
circumstances
as we are by a change of perspective.