Nikon is losing money.  So?

Japan is in a 10 year long recession.  The once mighty Japanese
economy that was supposed to buy up and control the USA economy
(sounds silly today, doesn't it?) is stuck in the muck and can't get
going again.

Nikon is only one of many Japanese companies that are eating dirt
today.  In the 1980's when companies in the USA, Europe and other
parts of the world were biting the bullit and restructuring for the
future, the Japanese sailed along as though  they were imune to the
laws of economics.  Now they know different.  \\\\

I hope they get their act together soon as we will be better off with
a strong Japanese economy.