> Mike wrote:
> The SB-28 owner's manual is insufficiently detailed or
clear to me to answer
> the question of what exposure meter method to use when the
unit is used with
> a remore slave unit.  Here's the setup: N70, Nikon "D"
lenses, SB-28 mounted
> on a SU-4 and positioned closer to the subject than the
camera.   The
> triggering or "master" unit is the N70's onboard popup
flash.  With the
> camera set on matrix metering, and let's say Program Mode,
should the slaved
> SB-28 be used in TTL or Automatic?  I believe the answer
is Auto since the
> lens and the slaved SB-28 are at differing distances from
the subject, but
> I'm not sure.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Assuming it works the same way as the Ikelite unit, you set
the flash to TTL since in that mode it will follow the on
camera flash.  If you set it to Auto it will fire with the
on-camera flash, but switch off using its own sensor which
is not why you use the SU-4.

The Flash on the SU-4 needs to be in TTL mode to get both
the switch on and switch off signals from the SU-4.  IN this
way the TTL sensor in the camera controls both flashes.

Alex